Monday, December 21, 2009

Confessions of a Romance Nerd

I don't remember a time when I haven't loved books.

That's not to say there were some books I didn't prefer to read. But on the whole, I loved books, from fairytales that didn't involve Disney, to the Laura Ingalls Wilder books I devoured one summer, to Sweet Valley High that got me started on romances on to Danielle Steel's melodrama, then Harlequin's happily ever after.

It was the happily ever after bit that hooked me onto big girl romances from that point on.

The public library was THE place for me as a child. It was the place I got my first kiss, the place I snuck to when I was grounded(still can't believe my dad never noticed my bike parked in front of the library doors - almost gave me a heart attack at 13yrs. old) and the place I learned to park & drive the family station wagon.

I don't remember if my first Harlequin Presents was Janet Dailey or Anne Mather. All I know was that I was hooked. Hooked on love, passion, alpha men, faraway places and happily ever after.

After a health scare I vowed to tackle my dream of writing romance. I cleared out a corner of my bedroom and got to it.

I've never looked back. Sometimes I want to bang my head on my desk, talk to myself waaay too much about goals, motivations & conflicts and lose too much sleep, but I love it.

My husband & kids have supported Mommy's dream and have cheered me on through encouraging rejection letters to losses in contests, believing that one day I'll get the call.

And I hope that one day, I will.

3 comments:

  1. Wowzie--I'm like the first post EVER? I am so honored!!! But enough about me--WAHOO for you for starting your writing career. That's just amazing and awesome and spectacular! And I know you'll get the call--you've already read about my friend Maisey and her recent Christmas present from HQ. Who's to say you're not next?

    I look forward to visiting you here and hearing about your successes. Have a great holiday and a very successful 2010!

    P.S. Love the background--just gorgeous!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Terrific first post. It's wonderful to have a dream and a huge help to have a supportive family.

    All the best for 2010

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks so much guys. I've visited so many authors blogs thrilled to know I'm not the only one with big dreams. Thanks for visiting my little blog. Here's to 2010 bringing in great stories and the "call" to us all.

    Merry Christmas.
    Gibb

    ReplyDelete